Choose a Department below:
415 W. University Drive
Edinburg, TX. 78541
Office 956.388.1852 or 956.388.1853
Vital Statistics Acknowledgment of Paternity - AOP
What does it mean to “Acknowledge Paternity”?
Paternity means fatherhood. When both parents sign an acknowledgement of paternity and it is filed with the Texas Vital Statistics Unit (VSU), the biological father becomes the legal father. Once paternity has been established, the father’s name is placed on the birth certificate. A court can order him to pay child support and grant him the right to visitation or possession of his child.[Texas Administrative Code: Chapter 55, Subchapter J Rule §55.404]
• The City of Edinburg Vital Statistics will process Acknowledge of Paternity (AOP) forms by Appointment Only
(Effective January 2016)
• Appointments are held on Wednesday ONLY from 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. (Except Holidays)
• Certain fee(s) may apply to process an AOP
• Payable in Cash / Check / Credit / Debit Card (Credit / Debit Card must belong to the Card Holder)
• Both parents are required to be present to sign the AOP form.
• All parents must show TWO forms of identification before they sign the AOP.For more information go to the Texas Vital Statistics Website