The City of Edinburg’s City Council welcomes the opportunity to recognize organizations, individuals and community events within the City of Edinburg through the issuance of a proclamation. Request for a proclamation must be submitted two-weeks prior to the desired City Council meeting date. Note: proclamations are not issued for political organizations, campaigns, candidates, for-profit activities or to promote religious beliefs or individual conviction.
Proclamations can be issued to:
- Promote local art & cultural celebrations
- Raise awareness on local issues impacting the health and safety in the City of Edinburg
- Support charitable fundraising campaigns that benefit a majority residents
Who can be recognized?
- Business owners
- City employees and/or local officials who are recognized for outstanding service to the public
- Retiring military officials who have significantly contributions to the Armed Forces are or have been stationed at one of our local military bases
Presentation of Proclamation at City Council Meeting
Only proclamations related to city-sponsored events or programs or in recognition of outstanding community service are read and presented at meetings. A representative should be available at the meeting to receive the proclamation and make a few brief remarks.
- An organization does not have exclusive rights to the day, week or month of their proclamation
- Other organizations can share the day, week or month of a proclamation
- An organization should request only one proclamation annually
- Proclamations are not automatically renewed. Requests must be made annually
- More than one cause can be proclaimed simultaneously
- The Mayor reserves the right to modify or deny any proclamation request. In cases where proclamation criteria are not met, a Certificate of Appreciation, Recognition or Congratulatory Letter is an alternative
- Any questions please contact the City Secretary department at 956-388-1850