Landfill / Disposal Services
Landfill Use Overview
Each day, approximately 1,300 tons of MSW and C&D is disposed at both of these landfills from the City’s residential garbage collection operations, private haulers, surrounding communities, and the general public. Our landfills utilize the newest and latest advances in landfill technology to protect public health and the environment thus ensuring long-term integrity of the these systems. As a dedicated environmental steward, the City of Edinburg through the DSWM ensures that all of our facilities are designed, operated and maintained to meet or exceed local, state and federal Environmental Regulations and Statutes. We continually work with regulatory agencies to insure the City of Edinburg maintains an adequate and viable disposal capacity at our existing sites and thus provide for our citizenship to enjoy the benefits thereof.
These facilities are approved and permitted by Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). The Edinburg Type I Facility may only receive MSW and it is not permitted to receive hazardous waste. The Edinburg Type IV Facility only accepts construction and demolition materials.
Location and Hours of Operation:
Edinburg Regional Disposal Facility
Monday-Friday: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm
Saturday: 8 am to 1:30 pm
Both landfills will be closed or will have alternate operating hours for non-contracted haulers during the following City holidays:
- New Year's Day - January 1
- Good Friday - Friday before Easter
- Memorial Day - Last Monday in May
- Independence Day - July 4
- Labor Day - First Monday of September
- Thanksgiving - Fourth Thursday in November
- Friday After Thanksgiving - Fourth Friday in November
- Christmas Eve - December 24
- Christmas Day - December 25
During any inclement weather (high winds, snow, rain, etc.), please contact us to verify operation hours for each landfill.
- Residents are allowed the disposal of their own generated waste only.
- Proof of residency: driver’s license and a current water bill (name and address must match), is required upon entry.
- Individuals are responsible for unloading their waste materials at the designated area. Individuals not unloading waste, especially children, should remain in their car.
- Vehicles immobilized or left unattended will be towed at the owner’s expense.
- There is absolutely NO Cash Payments, Gifts or Grautuities Accepted
- Scavenging or Salvaging is NOT Allowed
Please follow the link to see additional site user rules and material prohibitions for our Type I Facility and our Type IV Facility.
Special Wastes handling information and forms found here.
Landfill Rates & Fees
City Residents & Businesses:
Vehicle load (non-hazardous municipal solid waste, brush, construction and demolition materials):
(Minimum of $25.00 charge per load)
Proof of construction being conducted within the city limits of the City of Edinburg must be provided by the contractor or individual performing the services prior to disposal and is subject to verification.
Rate is subject to applicable surcharges, disposal fees, local and state taxes, etc.
Non-Contract Outside Haulers:
Government entities, waste haulers, contractors, or individuals disposing of waste generated from outside the City of Edinburg shall be charged for the use of city-owned or -maintained landfill as follows:
$11.67/Cu.Yd. ($35.00 / Ton)
(Minimum of $25.00 charge per load)
Rate is subject to applicable surcharges, disposal fees, local and/or state taxes
User shall be responsible for producing weight verification if required.
Tire handling fee $5.00
Surcharge for uncovered load 15% of load fee
Special Wastes / Asbestos Disposal
Special waste is any solid waste that requires special handling and disposal because of its quantity, concentration, physical or chemical characteristics, or biological properties. Special waste is defined in Title 30 Texas Administrative Code (30 TAC), Chapter 330, 330.3.
For disposal authorization please call the DSWM or follow the Special Waste Acceptance and Asbestos link for acceptance forms.
Please call for disposal rate. Rate is subject to applicable surcharges, disposal fees, local and state taxes, etc .
All persons entering the landfill will follow all instructions by landfill personnel and must follow landfill policies and posted rules for their own safety. Any person and/or persons refusing to follow all landfill rules, policies and instructions will be suspended from the premises and the use of the landfill until further notice. Questions concerning landfill rules or policies please call 956-381-5635 for clarification. En Espanol - Todas las personas que ingresen al relleno sanitario seguirán todas las instrucciones del personal del relleno sanitario y deberán seguir las políticas del vertedero y las normas publicadas para su propia seguridad. Cualquier persona y / o personas que se nieguen a seguir todas las reglas, políticas e instrucciones del vertedero serán suspendidas de las instalaciones y del uso del vertedero hasta nuevo aviso. Si tiene preguntas sobre las normas o políticas de vertederos, llame al 956-381-5635 para obtener aclaraciones.
Waste identified or listed as hazardous waste by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) or the TCEQ will not be accepted at either landfill. Please follow the link Material Prohibitions for a listing of other items that are not accepted at our Facilities. En Espanol - Los desechos identificados o enumerados como desechos peligrosos por la Agencia de Protección Ambiental (EPA) o la Comisión de Calidad Ambiental de Texas (TCEQ) no serán aceptados en ninguno de los vertederos. Siga el enlace Prohibiciones de materiales para obtener una lista de otros artículos que no son aceptados en nuestras Instalaciones.
These items/materials are strictly prohibited from entering our Landfill:
- NO - EXPLOSIVE, TOXIC OR REGULATED HAZARDOUS WASTE
- NO - CLOSED DRUMS
- NO - LEAD ACID BATTERIES
- NO - PCB CONTAINING MATERIALS
- NO - ITEMS CONTAINING CFC’S
- NO - USED MOTOR VEHICLE OILS OR FILTERS
- NO - LIQUID WASTE
- NO - UNTREATED MEDICAL WASTE
- NO - WHOLE OR SCRAP TIRES
- NO - SEPTIC TANK PUMPINGS OR UNAUTHORIZED SLUDGES
- NO - RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL
En Espanol - Estos artículos / materiales están estrictamente prohibidos de ingresar a nuestro vertedero:
- NO - RESIDUOS PELIGROSOS EXPLOSIVOS, TÓXICOS O REGLAMENTADOS
- NO - TAMBORES CERRADOS
- NO - BATERÍAS DE ÁCIDO PLOMO
- NO - PCB QUE CONTIENE MATERIALES
- NO - ARTÍCULOS QUE CONTIENEN CFC'S
- NO - ACEITES O FILTROS DE VEHÍCULOS DE MOTOR UTILIZADOS
- NO - DESECHO LÍQUIDO
- NO - DESECHO MÉDICO NO TRATADO
- NO - LLANTAS ENTERAS O DESECHADAS
- NO - BOMBAS DE TANQUE SEPTICO O LODOS NO AUTORIZADOS
- NO - MATERIAL RADIACTIVO
Special Waste disposal at the City of Edinburg landfill requires written approval prior to disposal by the DSWM Director. Special handling requirements for special waste may necessitate additional handling fees. Questions, requests for assistance, or written approval concerning special waste or hazardous waste should be directed to the DSWM at 956-381-5635.
*****THE CITY OF EDINBURG RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DETERMINE WASTE ACCEPTABILITY BASED ON STATE AND/OR FEDERAL WASTE SCREENING REGULATIONS.*****