1. Application: Apply online at https://cityofedinburg.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Complete the required information and submit application online.
2. Interview + Typing Test:
Communication Operator requires 40 WPM
Communication Supervisor requires 40 WPM.
3. Personal History Statement Packet: Applicants are required to print the packet, single sided and fill out completely. If the applicant requires the Police Department to print the packet, arrangements need to be made with the Administration Office.
5. Human Resources Background: Human Resources department will contact applicant once Personal History Statement is forwarded to their department. They will conduct an additional background check through DPS.
6. Medical / Drug Test and Psychological Exam: Applicants will be required to submit to a urinalysis drug screening, physical medical exam and a psychological exam at the city’s expense and preferred doctor’s offices.
Texas Administrative Code Rule 217.1
Minimum Standards for Enrollment and Initial licensure
Applicant must have:
- A high school diploma or high school equivalency certificate (GED)
- 18 Years of age
- S. Citizen
- Honorable discharge if served in the military
Felonies: Conviction of any felony
- Misdemeanors: Conviction of class B or A misdemeanor within the last 10 years
- Drug Use: Illegal use of drugs occurring within the last 2 years.
This is not an all-inclusive list. Exceptions may apply and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Note: Process takes 4 to 8 weeks from time personal history background is turned in to the Police Department.
Communications Operators are in training for the first three months of employment. They are assigned a trainer and the training consists of on the job training as well as classroom instruction. Within one year of employment, the employee is required to attend the Basic Telecommunicator Course (TCOLE 1013) and pass their state exam for the Telecommunicator License.
Shifts do not coincide with a Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. schedule. The Communications Division operates twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week and shifts include day time, evening, night time hours, weekends, holidays with rotating days off.