The Friends of the Edinburg Library is an organization that was established in 1979. The organization is a private, nonprofit group committed to the support of the Library through advocacy, volunteerism and giving that impact the lives of the people of Edinburg and the Rio Grande Valley.
Through the years the Friends have sponsored art shows, book signings, book reviews, travel talks, and speakers in a myriad facet of fields. The Friends have worked with the Library to celebrate National Library Week, and have sponsored their annual book raffle with two books in each category of age level through high school and for adults, a fiction and non-fiction book. In all years, since their existence, the Friends have helped finance the Children’s and Tweens/Teens Summer Reading Program.
Members of the Board
- President: Elena Ovalle
- Vice President: Sandy Riojas
- Treasurer: Ramon V. Vela Jr.
- Parliamentarian: Lydia Vela
- Secretary: Lydia Vela
- Publicity: Jose Tamez
- Social: Janie Ramirez
Become a Friend Today
Your tax-deductible contribution will help increase the collection of materials that promote lifelong learning. By joining, your dues will support programs at the library that enlarge our world beyond our walls, beyond our borders. By becoming a Friend, you impact the quality of life for friends and neighbors in our community.
Whatever your interests and talents, the Friends of the Library can benefit from your expertise. Here are just some of the ways Friends help to make the Library a community resource of unequaled value.
- Spearhead private fundraising efforts
- Encourage use of library through expanded programming
- Annual membership drive
- Annual used book sale
- Monthly brown bag luncheons on informative and compelling topics
- Friends of the Library Board
- Purchase bestselling books
- Finance Summer Reading Program for youth
- Purchase library equipment and furniture
- Sponsor cultural programming
You will also receive
- Invitations to special events featuring authors, artists, musicians, and speakers on note
- Up-to-date library news and information