Facebook Icon Twitter Icon YouTube Icon Instagram Icon

Planning & Zoning

Code Enforcement and Health Division

Our Environment Health Division conducts routine inspection of retail food establishments throughout our City Jurisdiction to ensure health code compliance. Health and Temporary Health Permits are issued to all establishments or any event that operates food services such as:
  • Restaurants
  • Child Care Facilities
  • Public Schools-Cafeteria
  • Hospital & Nursing Homes-Kitchen
  • Mobile Food Units
  • Convenient Stores
  • Retail Grocery Stores
  • Temporary Food Establishments
  • Concession Stand
Annual/Temporary Health Permits:
Food establishment permits are required for restaurants, bars, retail grocery stores, convenient stores, cafeterias, mobile food units, temporary food events, full service kitchens in nursing homes, concession stands, and snow cone stands.  Below are the applications that need to be completed to obtain a permit to operate a food establishment within the City limits of Edinburg.

iconfinder_2561262_download_cloud_icon_512px Food Establishment Plan Review Application
iconfinder_2561262_download_cloud_icon_512px Retail Food Annual Health Permit Application
 iconfinder_2561262_download_cloud_icon_512pxTemporary Food Establishment/Special Event Permit Application

Food Handler/Management:
The City of Edinburg Environmental Health Division no longer offers a food handler's class. You may find a list of classes on the link below. Please Note: The agencies that provide this training are not affiliated with the City of Edinburg and in addition to the cost of the online training, an additional charge will be required to receive an official City of Edinburg Food Handler or Manager Card.

City of Edinburg Food Handler and Manager Local Registration Fees:
Food Handler Fee: $30.00 
Food Manager Fee: $50.00

Mobile Food Units:
Mobile Food Units applicants must submit a Mobile Food Permit Application and Building Permit Application and return it to the Office of the Building Official. Once the application has been received, along with the property owner's trash,  restroom and parking agreement. We will review and issue a building permit with various division requirements. Upon completion of all building and health permit requirements a final inspection is conducted and a Certificate of Completion and Mobile Food Permit will be issued. An initial annual permit fee is $200.00 and an annual $100.00 renewal fee. Mobile Food Units desiring to operate during a one-time event may apply for a temporary permit at a cost of  $50.00. These mobile food units must still comply with all requirements.

iconfinder_2561262_download_cloud_icon_512px Mobile Food Permit Application Packet
iconfinder_2561262_download_cloud_icon_512pxState Mobile Food Unit Checklist
iconfinder_2561262_download_cloud_icon_512pxCommercial Building Permit Application

The Environmental Health Division 
Edinburg City Hall
415 W. University Dr. 
Phone:(956) 388-8203
Fax:(956) 292-2080
Danny Cadena, Health Inspector
Esteban Estrada,
Health Inspector