Curbside Recycling Services
Let us help you start your own home recycling program with our curbside recycling pick up. A minimum service charge will be added to your monthly water bill. Here is a quick guide to what is available for collection with our blue cart!
- Advertising circulars and junk mail
- Food boxes (please remove liners from cereal boxes)
- Newspaper (all sections)
- Magazines and catalogs
- Phone books
- Office paper and school work; envelopes
Metals (please rinse):
- Aluminum beverage/soda cans
- Steel (tin) food cans (Must be rinsed)
- Aerosol & Food Cans
- #1 and #2 plastic containers only
- water and soda bottles
- milk and juice jugs
- detergent and shampoo bottles
- Please DO NOT BAG your recyclables.
- Please NO Styrofoam or Trash
- Glass bottles and jars can be taken to the Edinburg Recycling Center,
- Please NO sharps, syringes or lancets. (To safely dispose of sharps, see Specially Handled Items, below)
- Please note that there is no set time recycling collection can occur on the day of collection.
- Holidays do not change service days.
- Have container set-out by the curb at 7:00 a.m. on your collection day.
- Position container with wheels away from the street.
- Leave at least 3 feet clearance from other carts, vehicles, mailboxes, etc.
- Place your cart away from low-hanging branches, shrubbery or other obstacles.
- Obstructed serviceability, relocated, removed or containers that failed to be placed for collection in a timely manner will incur a return trip charge.
- Place only recyclable items in container.
- Your recyclables must fit easily in your bin. The lid must be completely closed. Do not overfill or place items on top or next to the cart.
- Our equipment does not service any items placed outside of the container.
- Keep lids closed at all times to help prevent vectors and windblown litter on windy days.
- Remove your empty cart from the curb the same day it is collected. Carts left at the curb/right of way, after the scheduled pick-up day may subject residents to violations or fines.
- Carts are assigned based on your street address. Do not take carts when relocating to a new residence. Do not use carts to haul trash off premises.
- An extra trash cart costs an additional $8.00 a month .
- An additional recycling cart costs an additional $5.00 a month.
Report stolen carts to the Edinburg Police Department, (956) 381-7411, then call (956)381-5635, provide the case number and request a new cart.
YOUR COOPERATION WILL HELP THE CITY PROVIDE A BETTER AND MORE EFFICIENT SERVICE TO ALL CITIZENS
Please click here to identify the collection day for your area and/or follow our link for more information on our services or review our approved/unapproved material guide here.
Any oversized cardboard boxes or cartons are considered recyclable and residents may utilize the Edinburg Recycling & Educational Center to dispose of these recyclable materials. The DSWM oversees a voluntary Residential and Commercial Recycling Program. For more questions regarding recycling programs and services please call 956-292-2133 or visit our Recycling Services section.
back to top
Specially Handled Items:
- Hypodermic needles: Residents are required to place all hypodermic needles in a container that cannot be punctured, such as an empty coffee can, plastic milk jug or soda bottle with lid placed securely on the container and taped closed. Call DSWM at (956) 381-5635 to arrange for collection.
Large items / brush: Large items (furniture, appliances, etc.) and brush are collected on your brush and bulky waste collection day.
Other items: Paint, oil, oil filters, automotive batteries and vegetable oil are are not part of Residential Collection Services but disposal stations are available for Residential Customers for free at our Recycling Center, please contact Solid Waste Management for more information at (956) 381-5635.
back to top
The City of Edinburg is the exclusive provider of solid waste and recycling services for residences, businesses and industry in the City of Edinburg city limits. Private haulers may NOT collect from any location within the City; if the City is unable to provide a specialized service to a particular establishment or business (such as hazardous waste collection) then the resident or business owner must receive written authorization from the City in order to contract with a Private hauler. That hauler must then provide the service as prescribed by the Department of Solid Waste Management.